American Families United is the only national organization that focuses on the difficulty U.S. citizens face when married to people with immigration problems. U.S. citizens are the most neglected constituency in the immigration debate.
We bring practical solutions to Congress and support the efforts of leaders in the House and Senate as they introduce and pass legislation to help the community of constituents we represent.
American Families United is a non-partisan 501(c)(4) non-profit organization representing U.S. citizens and their spouses and children.
You can help us by:
- Subscribing to our emails - to be ready to take action when needed, you will also receive periodic updates.
- You can attend Lobby Day 2021 with us to talk to your representatives and tell you or a loved one's story. More info will be posted in Fall 2020. Meanwhile, here is a post about our Lobby Day 2020.
- You can volunteer in a variety of ways.
- You can sign our petition
- Help us raise money to cover our costs by donating
- Becoming part of our Circle of Hope with a monthly donation as low as $5/month.
Examples of our work include:
- Bringing attention and offering solutions to multi-year security check delays in 2006, and applauding the 2008 legislation helped more than a quarter of a million families through these delays
- Asking Congress in 2009 to stop deporting step-children of U.S. citizens simply for having birthdays, and supporting legislation that would reunite these families
- Testifying before Congress on the Separation of Nuclear Families in U.S. Immigration Law in 2013
- Asking for the i601a provisional waiver in 2011, and supporting ensuing regulatory change in 2012 which has helped keep 146,547 families together between 2014 and 2018
- Working with organizations around the country in 2013 and 2018 to advocate the restoration of judicial review in family separation cases, and supporting bipartisan legislation in the Senate and the House (the American Families United Act) to address the issue
- Holding annual national grassroots lobby days
On average, every dollar donated to American Families United has helped at least one family.
If you or someone you care about is a U.S. citizen who faces the specter of family separation, you need us and we need you.
America needs answers now. More than 1 million U.S. citizens and their spouses and children have been separated or risk separation.
With your support as a donor or volunteer, we aim to expand training, outreach, and constituent mobilization programs to bring the faces and stories of these families to Capitol Hill and to the public.
More than any time in the past 20 years, people are listening to immigration issues, and legislators are looking for solutions. In this once in a generational opportunity to improve the lives of people so close to you, where do you want to be when the train leaves the station?